DoD STARBASE offers a positive, proven approach to engendering excitement and interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). This knowledge is important to our nation's future because:
• During this decade, employment in science and engineering occupations is expected to increase at almost four times the rate for all occupations.
• In 2015, just 40% of U.S. 4th graders were rated at or above proficient in a national mathematics assessment (NAEP, and more than 1 in 10 scored below the basic level.
• Only 42% of U.S. high school graduates in 2015 met the ACT College Readiness Benchmark in mathematics and 36% in science.
•The rapid pace of technological change, and globalization of the economy, simply demands that our workforce be literate in science and math.
• STEM occupations are projected to grow by 17% from 2006 to 2018, compared to 9.8% growth for non-STEM occupations.
• An over-reliance on the math and science talent of foreign students represents a major potential weakness in the future competitiveness and vitality of the U.S. economy and workforce.
• Students who attend DoD STARBASE Academies increase their knowledge and skills in STEM.
• Students who attend DoD STARBASE improve their attitudes about and their confidence in STEM.